Do you feel like you’re always changing your home’s air filters? Replacing air filters is part of HVAC maintenance in Douglasville homes. Yet, have you ever wondered why your air filter gets so dirty so fast? Are you concerned that something is wrong and you’re wasting money on constant filter changes? If so, you’re not alone. Keep reading to learn more about why air filters get dirty and how often you need to change the filter.
WHY YOUR HVAC FILTER GETS SO DIRTY
From how you use your HVAC to how many pets and visitors you get, there are quite a few reasons why HVAC filters clog. The good news is that these are situations you can control.
- Stop turning your AC fan to ON: All air conditioning units have two fan options, AUTO and ON. Keeping the fan set to ON means that it’s running non-stop. This means that it’s going to continuously collect air contaminants like dirt and debris and at a faster rate. Setting the fan to AUTO uses less energy and doesn’t dirty your air filters as quickly.
- Too many pets: Homes with several pets tend to need more regular filter changes than those with 1 or no pets in the home. All pets, even tiny pets like hamsters and lizards, contribute to the amount of dust, dander, and other debris in the air. The same can be said for household guests. If you have an open-door policy and entertain frequently, you’ll notice an increased need for filter changes. To protect your HVAC in Douglasville, you don’t have to give away your pets or turn away guests. Instead, consider installing a whole-house air filtration device to cut down on the allergens in the air and put less stress on your HVAC system.
- Leaky air ducts: Another problem that causes excessive amounts of dirt and dander in the air is leaky air ducts. When you have a leak-free duct system, you’ll have lower energy bills and won’t need constant filter changes. Contact an HVAC company in Douglasville to inspect your ductwork and seal any leaks.
YOU MAY NEED TO CHOOSE BETTER HVAC FILTERS
Cheap HVAC filters also require regular changes. If you’re tired of making trips to the home improvement store to pick up new filters, consider buying sturdier filters with a lower MERV rating. Ideally, when you have HVAC installation in Douglasville, your technician will tell you what type of filter is ideal for your system and home. Unfortunately, many people inherit their HVAC units and were never given this information. Check out the information below to see how your air filter stacks up to the competition. It might be time to up your game.
- Fiberglass: Requires replacement once every 30 days
- Pleated: Requires replacement every 3 – 6 months
- Electrostatic: Are washable and don’t require replacement, but expect to wash or vacuum once every 30 days
- HEPA: Used in air purifying systems, HEPA filters last up to a year before they require replacement.
- Generally speaking, the quicker you need to replace the filter, the cheaper it is and the higher the MERV rating.
CONTACT COMFORT SOLUTIONS FOR HVAC FILTERS AND MORE!
If you’re concerned about the filter situation at your home, contact the pros at Comfort Solutions Heating & Cooling, LLC, for professional HVAC service in Douglasville. The problem could be something more serious that requires the assistance of licensed HVAC technicians.